Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Week 7

This week we covered chapter 5 in our textbook.  Chapter 5 focuses on Process Analysis.  There's a systematic approach to process analysis.  Our textbook breaks it down into six steps.
  1. Identify Opportunities
  2. Define Scope
  3. Document Process
  4. Evaluate Performance
  5. Redesign Process
  6. Implement Changes
I learned some valuable tools to assist in evaluating process performance.  A couple of my favorite tools are the checklist and the fishbone diagram (also called a cause-and-effect diagram).  The fishbone diagram helps you identify potential causes to your performance gap issue. 

I hope I remember to use this tool in my personal life when I'm trying to figure out what the causes to some of my occasional dissatisfactions are.  A visual diagram could be a useful tool.  I might discover that I haven't taken a walk in a while, or that I forgot to get on my knees and pray, or I haven't thought of another besides myself in a while, etc.  Pinpointing some of these issues can help me take appropriate action to remedy the situation.  I'll always remember what my uncle Bryan once told me..."Change what you can, except what you can't change; accept it and move on."  He wrote it on a piece of scratch paper and used the triangle symbol signifying "change."  It made a visual impression in my mind.  I have the paper still buried away in my keepsakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment