Saturday, April 16, 2011

Powerful Insight

I was browsing www.lds.org tonight.  I was trying to figure out why Elder Robert D. Hales, member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, did not speak in General Conference a couple of weeks ago.  I hope he is well.  I didn’t find my answer, but I found this quote that I think is very insightful.  I think it applies to all fields of study, even Operations Management…

“The law of the harvest is simply that you don’t get something for nothing in life,” says Elder Hales. He tells a story about his comment to a translator about the translator’s good fortune in having the gift of tongues. The translator responds, “My gift of tongues was received after thousands of hours of study and after overcoming many moments of failure and discouragement.” Elder Hales points out that the development of gifts is not an easy undertaking—in order to take full advantage of the gifts we are given, we must put in the corresponding effort.

Part of the translator’s response really caught my attention.  “[A]fter [working real hard AND] overcoming many moments of failure and discouragement,” the translator was able to fully recognize his gift.  I’ve been experiencing feelings of failure and discouragement in my educational pursuits.  I’ve wondered if I’m cut out to do anything.  I worry because I don’t always remember everything I learn in school.  I’m unable to consume all the new information placed before me fast enough.  Do I have what it takes to become a successful certified public accountant?  The translator’s response gives me a better perspective.  I’m not alone in my feelings.  Most of my fellow travelers in life, if not all, must feel this way at some time.  The trick must be to keep broadening your perspective, looking for all the good around you, and for ways to help others on their way-then pick up your feet and put one foot in front of the other again.  Eventually you will reach the destination you seek.

 

1 comment:

  1. Easier to write than to act in belief, but I must believe, I must. I must keep putting one foot in front of the other. I must act. It's the only way to move forward.

    ReplyDelete