Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Week 2

We discussed chapters 1 & 2 from our textbook tonight.  Chapter 1 focuses on Operations as a Competive Weapon. Chapter 2 focuses on Operations Strategy.  I really enjoyed class tonight.  We watched a video clip about Starwood Hotels that I found very enlightening.  Starwood Hotels owns at least nine different hotel brands including the Sheraton, St. Regis, Aloft, Le Meridien, and Westin.  A part of one of Starwood’s operations management processes includes seeking feedback from their clients.
 
Conferences, meetings, and special events are a big part of the company’s business offerings.  Starwood learned about the frustrations of the various meeting planner clients they work with; each hotel location had its own method of operations, causing continuous confusion.  In response, Starwood created and implemented a standard for all its brands.  Now meeting planner clients don’t have to guess what they need to do at each hotel, the process is uniform throughout.  Starwood even developed a Preferred Guest program which rewards their loyal clients.  Most importantly, Starwood set standards for itself in client feedback ratings and the company monitors the ratings very closely.

It made me take note of the customer value that can be added in providing uniform customer relations processes.  It’s all part of the brand image.  I know I would be confused if I ever walked into a Wal-Mart and there was nobody there to greet me when I walked in.

The company that I work for now does not have multiple locations.  It is a small business office with only five regular employees.  I will remember what I learned for possible future growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment