Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Week 11

This week we learned about Lean Systems.  Our textbook defines lean systems as "operations systems that maximize the value added by each of a company's activities by paring unnecessary resources and delays from them."

Lean systems typically have the following characteristics:
  • Pull Method of Work Flow
  • Consistent Quality at the Source
  • Small Lot Sizes
  • Uniform Workstation Loads
  • Standardized Components and Work Methods
  • Close Supplier Ties
  • Flexible Workforce
  • Line Flows
  • Automation,
  • Five S (5S) Practices
  • Preventive Maintenance
One of the things I found interesting about this chapter were the new Japanese terms I learned that the Japanese use to describe their application of lean systems principles.  One of the words I liked was "poka-yoke."  Poke-yoke are defined as mistake-proofing methods aimed at designing fail-safe systems that minimize human error.  A company could use the poke-yoke method by making different parts of the modular product in such a way that allows them to be assembled in only one way--the correct way.  I think that is such a good idea.  If I'm ever in charge of designing a modular product, I'll remember and try to apply this poke-yoke method.

The Kanban system was introduced in this chapter too.  Kanban is a Japanese word meaning "card" or "visable record."  I've heard the term  mentioned in my cost accounting class before, now I understand what it is better and that it's a word with Japanese origins.  I'm pretty sure we use a type of Kanban in our office processes of preparing tax returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment